Sunday, December 4, 2016

DIY - How to Hang a Wreath from a Mirror





I've seen all of these gorgeous pins and posts lately with beautiful green wreaths attached to mirrors in living rooms and dining rooms and I just fell in love with that look!  Since I would consider myself quite the DIYer, I thought I would attempt it!

Well, hanging a wreath to a mirror wasn't quite as easy as I thought it would be originally.

Our dining room mirror is attached to the wall with two nails and two hooks on back of the mirror.  At first, I thought I would just attach a string and the ribbon to the wiring at the back of the mirror...  So, that totally messed up that plan.

After some thinking and Googling, I decided to get some 3M Command Strip Hooks.  I probably won't always want a wreath over this mirror throughout the year.  So, I didn't want to cause any damage to the wall or to the mirror. Therefore, hanging it directly above the mirror frame on the wall, was the easiest thing to do.

So, I went to  the store and found these little guys.



First, I measured the width of the framed mirror, because I wanted to make sure that the wreath was centered.  I measured it as close to  the top of the frame that I could. After I found the center point of the mirror, I used chalk and made a small dot on the wall right above the mirror to mark the center point.  

Next, I used two of the Command hooks, since they are only good for 1/2 of a pound each, I wanted to make sure that the hooks would hold the wreath.  I put a Command Strip on the wall on the left side of the chalk mark and I put another command strip on the right side of the chalk mark.  (Make sure to follow the instructions that come with the Command Strips).  After you attach the hooks, apply pressure to the hooks for 30 seconds each, to make sure that they are adhered correctly to the wall.  

Now, I needed  to attach the ribbon around the wreath and then create a bow to cover up the hooks on the top.  I simply cut one strip of ribbon to loop around the bow, for it to hang at the appropriate length, in the middle of the mirror.  I honestly, just eyeballed this part and didn't measure.  (I hate to measure anything if I can get by with it!)  Then, I used two safety pins to quickly attach the ribbon at both ends, for a sturdy and seamless loop.  You could definitely stitch up the ends to make a loop, but I wanted this to be as easy to remove as possible and didn't want to waste my plaid ribbon, when I changed it out.  Hey, I'm thrifty!




For the next step, I needed a bow to cover up the small Command hooks above the mirror.  I found this awesome video by Michaels on YouTube and used it to create the plaid bow.  Where she uses pipe cleaners to attach the bow together, I used floral wire.  Surprisingly, I have no pipe cleaners in all of my craft stuff!  So, I just cut off about an eight inch piece of craft/floral wire to wrap around the bow and secured it in the back like you would a twist tie.  This excess will be what you attach the bow to the original loop that you created and the hooks, so make sure that you wrap it around and it is pulled tight in the back of the bow.  











You can see in the picture above, where I wrapped the wire around and looped it around throughout the back of the bow.



I am so happy with the finished product! No, it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be, but it looks beautiful for the Christmas season, and its nothing permanent that did any damage to the wall or mirror!  Happy decorating and DIYing friends!




Check out my next post on my first wreath flocking experience!



Follow me on Instagram for more shots of my Christmas decorations!



No comments:

Post a Comment